The Research Center Dynamics of High Latitude Marine Ecosystems (IDEAL) invites applications from outstanding young scientists for a postdoctoral position in biological oceanography to participate in a collaborative research project aimed to study Phytoplankton Ecology in Antarctic and Subantarctic regions.
The candidate will integrate the team of the Center’s Research Line 1 Marine productivity in a changing ocean. We are looking for a phytoplankton ecologist to conduct sampling, short-term physiological and community experiments, to investigate responses of marine phytoplankton to changing nutrients, salinity and pH from Antarctica and Magallanes regions. Experience with running phytoplankton physiological experiments, as well as advanced data analyses (multivariate and time series analyses) and manuscript writing is essential.
The position will involve working in close collaboration with colleagues from the IDEAL Center as well as national and international institutions.
- A relevant PhD degree in Natural/Earth Sciences obtained within the past 5 years (from December 2013). Candidates who have recently submitted their PhD thesis and will obtain the degree before appointment are also eligible for the position.
- A proven record in phytoplankton ecology research, demonstrated by publications in international peer-reviewed journals,
- Demonstrated expertise in water column marine phytoplankton from polar and/subpolar regions.
- Good knowledge of data processing and statistics (community and time series analyses, Matlab, Ocean Data View),
- Experience in working with marine phytoplankton taxonomy, preferably from high latitudes, including Harmful Algae blooms,
- Interest in the application/interpretation of physiological parameters (light, nutrients, pH) as tools for future scenarios on Antarctica and Magellan regions will be considered an advantage,
- Previous sea-going experience is welcome,
- Proficiency in English is required as well as excellent organization and communication skills. An interest in achieving a basic understanding of Spanish is expected.
The application must include:
- Letter of motivation: a brief statement of reserach interests and accomplishements
- Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications indicating journal papers that are registered in ISI Web of Science.
- Names and contact information of at least two referees.
- Copy of PhD diploma, as well as any other material that can document qualifications at the postdoctoral level.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com referencing “Application to RP1-IDEAL postdoctoral position biological oceanography-phytoplankton ecology”.
Closing date for applications: 15 October 2018
Starting date: beginning of November 2018
Salary and conditions of employment
- Duration of the contract is 2 years
- Annual salary is $19.200.000 Chilean Pesos before taxes (approximately US$ 29,000/25.000 Euros, depending on exchange rate).
- Foreign candidates will need to obtain a VISA from the local Chilean consulate before moving to Chile.
The position will be based at the Universidad Austral de Chile (IDEAL’s main institution), city of Punta Arenas, Magallanes Region, Chile, with ample possibility to travel to Valdivia/Puerto Montt, and the chance to participate in expeditions to the Antarctic Peninsula and Subantarctic fjords of the Magellan region.
The successful candidate will be joining the Plankton Ecology team at the Department of Marine Sciences and Limnology in Valdivia which offers a creative and interdisciplinary research environment.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. Jose Luis Iriarte (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Center IDEAL is financed by the National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research (CONICYT) of Chile, through the Fund of Research Centers in High-priority Areas (FONDAP). It is led by the Austral University of Chile (UACh), being its associate institutions the University of Concepción (UdeC) and the Regional Center of Quaternary Studies (CEQUA) in Punta Arenas. Further information about IDEAL can be found at: https://www.centroideal.cl/en#