The Research Center Dynamics of High Latitude Marine Ecosystems (IDEAL) invites applications from outstanding young scientists for a two-year postdoctoral position, with possibility of a 6-month extension depending upon performance, to participate in a research project aimed at study the ecological role of zooplankton in biogeochemical cycles in Antarctic and Subantarctic regions.
The candidate will integrate the team of the Center’s Research Line 3 “Plankton” (https://www.centroideal.cl/en/plankton/), our research line focuses in studies dealing with the role of plankton in pelagic-benthic coupling (i. e. biological carbon pump), top-down processes in controlling primary production, effects of climate change stressors (such as freshening, ocean warming and acidification) in plankton structure and function, and carbon flows through the pelagic and microbial food webs. Skilled candidates in physical-biological modelling as well as a general knowledge of the key functional groups of the plankton (i. e. bacteria, phytoplankton, zooplankton) will be highly desirable. Advanced knowledge in proxies and biomarkers to study bioelement origin and cycling along food webs will be considered as valuable asset.
- A relevant PhD degree in Oceanography/Marine Biology Sciences obtained strictly within the past 5 years. Candidates who have recently submitted their PhD thesis and will obtain the degree before appointment are also eligible for the position
- A proven record in plankton/oceanography research, demonstrated by publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Highly motivated postdoctoral researcher with a background in biological, chemical or physical oceanography, and/or in physical-mathematical modelling, data processing and statistics.
- Previous seagoing experience is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in English is required as well as excellent organization and communication skills.
The application must include:
- Letter of intent.
- Statement describing previous research experience and future research interests.
- Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications indicating journal papers that are registered in ISI Web of Science.
- Two recommendation letters.
- Copy of PhD diploma, as well as any other material that can document qualifications at the postdoctoral level.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com, referencing “Application to RP3-IDEAL plankton postdoctoral position”
Closing date for applications: 1 March 2018
Salary and conditions of employment
- Duration of the contract is 2 years (with possibility of a 6-month extension depending upon performance).
- The earliest start date is 1 April 2018.
- For foreign candidates, a VISA from your local Chilean consulate before moving to Chile is required.
- Annual salary is $19.200.000 Chilean Pesos before taxes (approximately, US$ 31,000/26.000 Euros, depending on exchange rate).
The position will be based at the IDEAL facilities in Punta Arenas, Magellan Region, Chile, with ample possibility to travel within Chile, and the chance to participate in expeditions to the Antarctic Peninsula and Subantarctic fjords of the Magellan region.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to: Dr. Humberto González (firstname.lastname@example.org) Dr. Andrea Piñones (email@example.com)
The Center IDEAL is financed by the National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research (CONICYT) of Chile, through the Fund for Research Centers in Priority Areas (FONDAP). It is led by the Universidad Austral de Chile (UACh), being its associate institutions the Universidad de Concepción (UdeC) and the Regional Center of Quaternary Studies (CEQUA) in Punta Arenas. Further information about IDEAL can be found at: https://www.centroideal.cl/en/
 Funding is depending on the budget availability of CONICYT.