The Research Center Dynamics of High Latitude Marine Ecosystems (IDEAL) invites applications from outstanding young scientists for a postdoctoral position to participate in a research project aimed at study the biological capabilities of marine species under a ecophysiological and genetics approach, in antarctic and subantarctic regions.
The selected candidate will integrate the team of the Center’s Research Line 2 Ecophysiology and Genetics, where he/she will be involved in laboratory and in situ studies focused to know how marine species from the Antarctic and Subantarctic regions adapt to the effects of different drivers of global change (temperature, acidification, freshening). Candidates who demonstrate experience and high qualification in the combined use of ecophysiological approaches (energetics, thermal tolerance, oxidative stress, osmoregulation) and functional genomics (i.e. transcriptomics, qRT-PCR) in animals, will be highly valued.
- A relevant PhD degree in Marine Biology Sciences obtained within the past 5 years. Candidates who have recently submitted their PhD thesis and will obtain the degree before appointment are also eligible for the position.
- A proven record in ecophysiology/genetics research, demonstrated by publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated expertise in studies focused in the relationship organism/environment.
- Adequate skills in data processing and statistics.
- Experience in laboratory and field work (use of different instruments and molecular tools).
- Proficiency in English is required as well as excellent organization and communication skills.
The application must include:
- Letter of motivation
- Statement describing previous research experience, including field and laboratory skills, and future research interests.
- Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications indicating journal papers that are registered in ISI Web of Science.
- Summary of his/her doctoral research (max. 3 p)
- Names and contact information of at least two referees
- Copy of PhD diploma, as well as any other material that can document qualifications at the postdoctoral level
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing “Application to RP2-IDEAL Ecophysiology/genetics postdoctoral position”
Closing date for applications: 30 december 2017
Salary and conditions of employment
- Duration of the contract is 2.5 years (with possibility of a 3-month extension depending upon performance).
- The earliest start date is March 1, 2018; however, a later start date is negotiable (but no later than May 1, 2018).
- For foreign candidates, a VISA from your local Chilean consulate before moving to Chile is required.
- Annual salary is $19.200.000 Chilean Pesos before taxes (approximately, US$ 30,000/25.500 Euros, depending on exchange rate).
The position will be based at the IDEAL facilities in Punta Arenas, Magellan Region, Chile, with ample possibility to travel within Chile, and the chance to participate in expeditions to the Antarctic Peninsula and Subantarctic fjords of the Magellan region.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. Jorge Navarro (email@example.com).
The Center IDEAL is financed by the National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research (CONICYT) of Chile, through the Fund of Research Centers in High-priority Areas (FONDAP). It is led by the Austral University of Chile (UACh), being its associate institutions the University of Concepción (UdeC) and the Regional Center of Quaternary Studies (CEQUA) in Punta Arenas. Further information about IDEAL can be found at: https://www.centroideal.cl/en
* Funding is depending on the budget availability of CONICYT.